As in any game, a wise player should be aware of the rules before playing. At first glance, roulette looks like a very simple game, and it is, to some extent, however, there are many types of bets you can place. You should make sure you know and understand all types of bets before you start playing. Using various bets and tactics will make your time at the roulette table much more entertaining.
There are so many different roulette types of bets you can place on the table, it’s all up to you to decide, so choose wisely. Some players bet on their favorite or lucky numbers and others use various roulette strategies to help them. We’ve got you covered in any case with our comprehensive strategy guide… but first things first – the types of bets in roulette.
First of all, we have to mention that there are two types roulette in most online casinos – European and American roulette. The difference comes down to the number of Zero sectors on the wheel. The European roulette has one Zero sector, whereas the American roulette has two Zero sectors. Therefore the house edge in European roulette is 2.70%, whereas the house edge in American roulette is 5.26%.
Of course, it is needless to say that, if you can, you must always choose European roulette because your chances to win your bets are better.
You can find some basic roulette types of bets on European roulette below:
- Straight Up – when a player places the chip in the center of any number. If this number comes out, the player wins 35 times his bet. Probability – 2.70%, bet payout – 35:1.
- Split – the split type of bet is a bet on two bordering numbers, (for example 34-35 or 33-36). Probability – 5.41%, bet payout – 17:1.
- Street – a bet on 3 numbers on a horizontal line (for example 34-35-36). To do this, you need to place the chip on the edge of the number in the beginning of the desired line. Probability – 8.11%, bet payout – 11:1.
- Corner – a bet on 4 numbers in the form of a square (for example 26-27-29-30). The player needs to place the chip in the middle of the square. Probability – 10.81%, bet payout – 8:1.
- Column – there are three columns you can choose from (1-4-7-10-13-16-19-22-25-28-31-34; 2-5-8-11-14-17-20-23-26-29-32-35; 3-6-9-12-15-18-21-24-27-30-33-36). As you can see, each column has 12 numbers. Probability – 32.40%, bet payout – 2:1.
- Dozen – there are three dozens you can choose from (1-12; 13-24; 25-36). Probability – 32.40%, bet payout – 2:1.
- Six Line – a bet on two bordering lines. In order to place such a bet, the player needs to place the chip at the corresponding intersection, as if in between where two street bets would be placed. Probability – 16.20%, bet payout – 5:1.
Roulette players may also bet on sectors which are determined by the type of the number that will come out:
- Black or Red. Probability – 48.64%, bet payout – 1:1
- Odd or Even. Probability – 48.64%, bet payout – 1:1
- Low (1-18) or high (19-36). Probability – 48.64%, bet payout – 1:1
European roulette wheel is divided into adjoining sectors and players may bet on each of these sectors. Bets on these sectors are Call Bets and the combinations of bets are called – Voisin Du Zero, Tiers Du Cylindre and Orphelins. Here you bet on the sector of the roulette wheel where you think the ball will end up.
Voisin Du Zero – you need 9 chips for this bet. Bet on 0/2/3 + 25/26/28/29 (Corner), 2 chips each, 4/7 (Split) + 12/15 (Split) + 18/21 (Split) + 19/22 (Split) + 32/35 (Split) – 1 chip each.
Tiers Du Cylindre – roulette player bets 6 chips on 12 numbers. Bet on the splits: 5/8 + 10/11 + 13/16 + 23/24 + 27/30 +33/36 – 1 chip each.
Orphelins – bet 5 chips on 4 splits and 1 straight-up. Bet 1 chip on each of the following splits: 6/9 + 14/17 + 17/20 + 31/34 and 1 chip on Straight-up (on 1).
Here is how you can calculate the probability yourself. The European roulette wheel has 37 numbers, therefore the probability of a Straight Up bet on 6 winning is 1 / 37 which equals 0.0270 x 100 = 2.70%.
No matter what bets you choose to place, remember to have fun and never gamble more than you can afford to lose.
Read more useful information and all our roulette strategies by visiting our roulette section.